In the realm of Tantric Shaivism, the profound practice of meditating on Shiva and Shakti holds the key to cultivating a luminous state of mindfulness and compassionate awakening.
Shiva and Shakti, embodied in symbolic form, serve as potent representations of mindfulness. By engaging with images of Shiva-Shakti, we align ourselves with the radiant essence of awareness that effortlessly emerges during the depths of meditation.
Within the ancient scriptures of spiritual enlightenment, a passage resonates with deep wisdom: “That which is Shiva, supreme, pure, tranquil, undifferentiated, even, whole, immortal, real reposes in Shakti whose form is luminosity” (Paramarthasara of Abhinavagupta, Karika 43). Here, Shiva-Shakti symbolizes the mind immersed in a state of enlightened and loving awareness.
Yogaraja further elucidates the meditation on Shiva-Shakti, describing the universe as a series of waves that unfold before our eyes, shimmering with splendor emanating from Shakti. These waves are likened to a boundless current flowing forth from the abode of Shiva, akin to an ocean of nectar. This profound practice aims to unveil the core of the supreme Self, where Shiva, Shakti, and the finite self merge into absolute unity, dissolving all distinctions (Page 196, emphasis added).
Through meditation on the divine love of Shiva and Shakti, we awaken to the qualities of tranquility and undifferentiated awareness. This practice nurtures loving awareness within us, serving as a transformative gateway. Shiva-Shakti becomes the embodiment of love in the realm of non-dual awareness. As we immerse ourselves in this meditation, the boundaries of binary thoughts and feelings begin to dissolve, expanding our capacity for loving awareness. Non-duality transcends the confines of conflicted states of consciousness such as frustration, anger, and fear.
The divine union of Shiva and Shakti imparts profound teachings about love itself. Love, the essence of kindness, compassion, joy, and peace, becomes evident through this meditative journey. As we engage in the practice of meditating on the qualities of love, we embark on a transformative healing process, both for ourselves and for the world around us. The love of Shiva and Shakti serves as a guiding light, nurturing our own hearts and creating a compassionate space where others can find solace.
Mindfulness Exercise: Embracing the Shiva-Shakti Symbol
- Find a quiet and comfortable space where you can sit undisturbed.
- Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths, allowing yourself to relax and settle into the present moment.
- Visualize the symbol of Shiva-Shakti in your mind’s eye. Imagine their radiant presence before you, embodying love, harmony, and unity.
- As you hold the image of Shiva-Shakti in your awareness, allow yourself to connect with the qualities it represents: tranquility, undifferentiated awareness, and loving compassion.
- With each breath, let these qualities permeate your being, filling you with a sense of calm, oneness, and boundless love.
- As you continue to meditate on the symbol, notice any sensations, emotions, or insights that arise within you. Embrace them with loving awareness, allowing them to flow and transform.
- Stay in this meditative space for as long as feels comfortable, savoring the presence of Shiva-Shakti and nurturing your connection with compassionate awakening.
- When you are ready, gently open your eyes, carrying
I invite you to share your comments and insights on the possibility of compassionate awakening. Your feedback is incredibly valuable and helps me gain a deeper understanding of your perspective. Together, we are embarking on a journey towards compassion. Please keep in mind that although I read and appreciate all comments, I am unable to respond individually. Nevertheless, your input plays a vital role in shaping the conversation and fostering a meaningful dialogue. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Let’s awaken into compassion together!